Wednesday, August 3, 2011

DIY NAUTICAL BUNTING



I just wanted to show a quick little easy sew garland that I made for my pal Bina's Sip-n-See she hosted last weekend.  If you can sew a straight line, you can sew this. Don't forget, you could always use a running stitch and assemble this by hand, hot glue it or use iron on hem tape.


1.  I cut a triangle template and cut out a bunch of pennants from chunky muslin.  This fabric has a thicker feel to it and has texture like linen.  I use it for everything, it's like the poor girl's linen and at $1.25/yard I said yes to a whole bolt.  Use what ever fabric suits your fancy.

2.  I used my YUDU to screen print the anchors on.  It was pretty easy to use and it was only my 2nd time ever screen printing; it was my first time solo.  I was pleased with the results. You could also iron on designs or letters printed on t-shirt transfer paper.  Another option, use some large Helvetica font letter stencils to paint a phrase or name. Or skip this step, and rock a plain bunting.

3.  Once dry, iron according to paint/ink's directions.  With design side down, iron the tab over to create a nook for the twine to rest.


To sew, insert twine under tab, keeping it close to the fold and sew a straight line to close.  You need to keep the stitches away from the twine itself or you will not be able to move the placement later.


Sew on as many little flags as you like and ENJOY! As always, if you have any questions, ask away I'd love to help!

4 comments:

  1. I freaking love this!!!!!! So jealous of all your rad craft tools and skills. This banner would fit in perfectly with a bridal shower theme swimming around in my head! We should collab the coolest inspo board ever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gah! So cute! And what the heck is a YUDU?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Chelsea!
    This is a YUDU
    http://www.whatdoyudu.com/
    It is a personal screen printing machine that has a dryer and an exposure light built in for your screens! You just print out your design and make a screen of whatever you like. Easy as pie, SERIOUSLY! I might be in love with mine. I can't wait to do the kids shirts for school!

    ReplyDelete